Thursday, August 25, 2011

My New Favorite Vegetable (really!): Shredded Brussels Sprouts

You really need to try this recipe.  I found sauteed shredded brussels sprouts so delicious that I had two HUGE helpings for dinner last night.  Me.  Of my own free will, savoring two servings of brussels sprouts.  It's true.  I've made all kinds of brussels sprout recipes, including roasted brussels sprouts that are pretty good, but not good enough to want seconds.  THESE, though, warrant a return trip to the kitchen.

my fork last night 

1 package shredded brussels sprouts (Wegmans)
1-2 T olive oil
1 diced shallot
2 T finely diced red onion (or you could use garlic)
2 T Wegmans herb basting oil

1. Heat the oil on medium, then add all the ingredients to the pan.  The brussels sprouts will cook down, but start with a pan big enough to hold the entire package with some room to spare. Otherwise, if your 8-year old wants to help you stir, you won't have to clean up such a large mess off the stovetop.  Not that I'd know about that.
2.  Saute the mixture until you see the onions becoming translucent and you can smell the brussels sprouts.  Then, cook for a few more minutes.  It took about 15 minutes last night.  By cooking this long, the sugars in the vegetables caramelize and taste extra sweet.

After discovering my new favorite vegetable, I looked online and there are loads of variations on this recipe -- adding pine nuts, herbs, other diced vegetables, or even bacon. Definitely give this a try! 

No comments:

Post a Comment