Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Bummers, Bunnies, and Bleeaaaaa

1. Bummers -- Actually, it's just a bummer (singular).  But, I feel like it is bummers (plural).  Today was supposed to be my big game of the season.  But, it has already been canceled due to bad field conditions.  I guess a few colleges out there still have grass fields with bad drainage, or at least the school where I was scheduled does.  I know the actual lacrosse wasn't going to be world class, but I was going to get to umpire a college game with the gal who officiated the NCAA Division I Finals last year -- college's biggest game.  Little did she know it, but today was going to be a huge lacrosse learning day for me.  I was going to watch her passing the restraining line, restarting play, and active trail positioning in 'C'.  Also, I was hoping for some tips, maybe an autograph. I was planning to wear sunglasses so she couldn't see the stars in my eyes.  Alas, I will now be sitting at home.  Normally I don't love rain, but I'm hoping for a lot more rain today to really make me feel like this game should be cancelled.

2.  Bunnies -- I've been trying to find some new snack food that does not contain food dye.  Over the past few weeks all my kids want to do is EAT.  EAT EAT EAT.  Everyone is "starving" all the time.  I've tried explaining the concept of starving and true hunger.  But, my lectures have been met with deaf ears and more requests for granola bars, fruit sticks, cheese sticks, goldfish, popcorn, and pretzels.  I've re-instituted the "You must eat some more fruit or carrot sticks before a snack policy." And, they are hungry enough to want to eat fruit. Abby was so hungry after school yesterday, I convinced her to eat a whole sandwich.  She did, then she ate her whole dinner too. I guess they really are growing.  Fine.  I'll feed them.  I found some dye-free bunny-shaped graham crackers at Wegman's over the weekend.  I tried a few and they were very pretty tasty, but have a heavy dose of cinnamon.  So, I asked Ben what he thought the crackers tasted like.  His reply, "Dead Bunnies."

3.  Bleaaaa --  I took Ben and Caroline to the dentist yesterday.  Caroline's appointment went fine as usual.  The dentist's prize box really motivates good appointments for her.  Ben was quite willing to open his mouth and have his teeth scraped, which I think is really impressive for a 3-year old.  However, all his dentist good will is now gone.  After the scraping, the hygienist started to polish his teeth with that gritty toothpaste.  Although none of us are quite sure what happened, we're thinking he might have swallowed a bit, which caused him to throw-up.  All over the dentist's chair.  And floor.  And tools.  And himself.  It was right after lunch.  And, it was absolutely disgusting.  Dead bunnies everywhere.

1 comment: