Thursday, February 2, 2012

Never a dull moment here....

Hey.  What did you do last night?  Watch a little TV?  Read a book?  Maybe check a little homework?  We did all that.  Oh, also Scott kicked in Caroline's bedroom door.

The force of the blow shattered the wood around the lock and ripped an 8-foot piece off of the door frame.  Honestly, it was kind of awesome.  Just like on TV. If only we didn't have to repair and repaint the whole thing now.

Maybe I should tell the story from the beginning?

Yesterday morning, Caroline was being her normal obstinate self before school.  She didn't want to get dressed because she didn't like any of the clothes that are clean.  She didn't want to put on any socks because they weren't the right color.  She didn't want to brush her teeth because the toothpaste is too spicy.  She didn't want to put on her sneakers for gym class. She didn't want to comb her hair, just because.  She didn't want to drink her milk.  Blah blah blah. Typical morning nonsense that increases my blood pressure by at least 40 points every day.

I finally told Caroline if I had to repeat myself any more, I would start confiscating her new toys for a week.  Apparently that threat got her attention because she started feeling cooperative. For extra insurance, she also locked her door and pulled it shut before she went to school so I wouldn't go in her room.  But, I didn't know that she had pulled this little maneuver until about 4:30pm when I told her to go up to her room to play until dinner was ready.

Fastforward to 4:30. Caroline was screaming from upstairs that her door was locked.  So I went upstairs to check out the commotion, only to find out to my horror that her bedroom door lock was an actual keyed lock!  (How did I never notice this in the 2+ years we lived in the house??) None of the house keys fit her lock, naturally.  We were faced with a choice.  Pay $100 for an emergency locksmith or just kick the door in.

Scott opted to play Army Ranger and kicked the door in, as described above.  The first kick was pretty gentle. The second kick really did the trick.

I'll file this story under the "never a dull moment here" category, perhaps cross-referenced with "how not to motivate your child to behave."

8 comments:

  1. Great story! I wish there was a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wish I had a photo!! I didn't think of it at the time though because I was marveling at how cool it is that you can actually kick a door in. You should totally try it -- at someone else's house. -CC

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice. now I know who to call next time I need to stage a home invasion. Even better than kicking the door in is the fact that Caroline locked her door before heading off to school to ensure you didn't confiscate any of her toys. Both of my girls from around age 5 to around age 7 both lost their bedroom door privileges. Yep, I had Hubby just remove them altogether...they eventually got them back but i still remind them....Gotta respect the door!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is outstanding parenting! we've considered door removal, but never done it. Lucy was here for the big event, so she can tell you more details....

      Delete
  4. Scott should join the Special Forces or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think if he were Special Forces material, he would have gotten it on the first kick. There's no room for error in life or death situations. (I hope the Army Ranger comment wasn't offensive in some way! I really have nothing but respect for them!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, even the Rangers usually get to practice before they raid the room! We'll give Scott a call the next time K locks herself in the bathroom.

      Delete
    2. K locked herself in the bathroom already??!! Kids are awesome.

      Delete