Monday, October 4, 2010

Peace and Quiet

Breaking News.  Tonight from 5pm until 8pm it was quiet at our house.  Serenely and blissfully quiet.  How strange it seemed!  Delightful, but strange. What was even weirder was that the kids were actually home for a good portion of the time, and it was still quiet.  

I don't know if it was the rain, the sudden change of seasons, or just a confluence of good will, but no one was fighting or screaming or weeping.  Ben quietly played with his Legos, creating a team of good guys on a new battleship.  Caroline played with little cars, parking them in some kind of pattern on DVD cases.  Abby was at ballet for a while, but then returned home and ate dinner and read a pile of books to herself. So, Scott and I chatted without interruption.  We ate dinner without getting up.  It was like opposite world. 

Caroline and Ben even commented how quiet it was, and how nice it was at the house.  (I thought to myself, geez, it could be like this every day if everyone would just chill out a little.)  But, I outwardly agreed.  So, we copiously complimented everyone's delightful behavior, read extra stories to reinforce all this marvelousness.  Now, I'm just crossing my fingers that someday soon it will happen again.  Dare I hope tomorrow? 

No comments:

Post a Comment