Sunday, October 3, 2010

Hersheypark Happy (mostly)

On Saturday, we took the kids to Hersheypark for some chocolate-themed amusement park fun.  The park is closed to the general public in October, but we were able to score some "friends and family" tickets through my high school friend Dina (thanks!!).  We really lucked out since the weather was perfect -- much, much better than the monsoon rains on Thursday and Friday.  It was a glorious crisp early fall day. 


Abby was ecstatic that she had graduated from Reese's Peanut butter cup size up to Hershey Bar size (ride height requirements), which allowed her to try out even more roller coasters than last year's visit, including her new favorite, the Wildcat.  Caroline graduated up to the Reese's Peanut Butter cup, so she tried out the Comet, Super Dooper Looper, and Trailblazer coasters.  Ben, now a Hershey Kiss, could even get in on the Trailblazer action.  The park seemed a lot more crowded than last year, but the lines moved quickly. In fact, Caroline, Abby, and Dad went on the Super Dooper Looper  FOUR times in a row (while I fed Ben a whole lot of kettle corn).  OK, who am I kidding.  I ate a lot more kettle corn than Ben while we were waiting.  I really do love kettle corn. Salty and sweet.

Speaking of super healthy snacks, Caroline has discovered a new favorite food:

CORN DOGS

In addition to eating a lot of popcorn, I successfully won Caroline a stuffed dog on the Whack-A-Mole game on the first try.  While I am miserable at almost all carnival games, particularly any that require throwing a ball or shooting a basket, I am exceptionally good at Whack-A-Mole.  Yes, I know I'm bragging, but it's true.  I really have a special touch with a large padded mallet. 

It was a fun day filled with lots of rides, but it was also a long day containing Ben. He was great while on the rides, but challenging during ride waits and when walking around the park. Since the park was still crowded, we spent of lot of time carrying him. Also, the discrepancy in riding levels among the three kids with two adults meant that there was a lot of coordinating and/or waiting. The kids had a great time, but I can't honestly say that I did.  I enjoyed watching them have fun, of course, but I think I played more of a fun facilitator role -- providing provisions, water, clothing, directions, driving, etc.  It was definitely not like the good 'ole days when I just went to the park and rode the rides myself all day.  The mantle of parental responsibility strikes again!!



Pirate Ship (see 4 rows from top for Abby and Caroline)

1 comment: