Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I Heart Black & Decker

I am in love.  Love, love, love.  I am in love with my new lawn mower.   No mocking, please.  It was love at first sight.

Behold: The Black & Decker CM1936.
It is a 19-Inch, 36-Volt Cordless Electric Mulching Lawn Mower


Isn't she a beauty?  And, she purrs like a kitten. 

Ok, I'm exaggerating about the kitten part a little, but the humm of motor is so quiet that I could hear birds singing while I was mowing the lawn with a ridiculously big grin on my face this morning.  No lie, the birds were chirping along (and I really did have a goofy smile too). 

Zero emissions.  This mower runs off a rechargable electric battery.  So, the garage does not smell like gasoline.  Side benefit:  No pull cord.  You push a button, pull the safety lever, and starting mowing. 

AND (there's more!) the mulching attachment comes pre-installed, and there is a bag for clippings if you want to go that route.  Allow me to step onto my environmental soapbox for a moment, but if you always bag your grass, please consider the mulching option -- even occassionally. Not only does the grass unnecessarily clutter your local landfill, but you are robbing your lawn of the nutrients (especially nitrogen) provided by decomposing grass. Grass clippings are 80% water and 5% nitrogen (plus other nutrients too), and are an excellent organic fertilizer.  For more articulately explained reasons about why you should consider mulching, see PADEP's "Let it Lay" program or Mulching vs. Bagging on All About Lawns.  Your lawn will thank you! (stepping off my soapbox now...)

Our new mower replaces our old style trusty reel mower that served us well for the last decade.  The little push mower cut (and still does cut) grass really well.  Unfortuantely, ours never cut crab grass or dandelion stems or the thicker seed bearing grass stems.  Also, it gets jammed on every stick, which is kind of jarring.  I looked into electric mowers a few years ago, and I couldn't find one that I really wanted to try.  But, then I found the CM1936.   And, it's a match made by Black and Decker.

No comments:

Post a Comment