Monday, May 23, 2011

Lacrosse Season Wrap-Up

My lacrosse umpiring season officially ended on Saturday after I officiated a District 1 Round 3 Quarterfinal game.  (Round 3, did you read that part?   I got the call to umpire a quarterfinal game! Quite a big deal for me in my little world of umpiring!!).  Despite the rainy/freezing cold April weather, this was by far my favorite season of lacrosse.  EVER.

This season I refereed my first college games and had a much higher percentage of league games.  There were night games and multiple games tied until just seconds before the end of the game.  There was more controversy and higher stakes, a few "big girl" calls, and I loved practically every minute of it. (There were a couple of losers in there too, like a >2 hour game with 37 goals and an a really unpleasant gnat infestation on the field.)  Overall, though, a fabulously enjoyable season. 

2011 Season Statistics (48 Total Games)

5 NCAA Division III Games
1 NCAA Division II Games
22 Varsity Games
15 JV Games
3 District I Playoff Games
(2 Youth League Games for friend)

How do I feel after 48 games?  Well.....mostly tired.  But not in the way you might think.  I am in shape and my legs are still fresh for sprinting up and down the field.  However, I'm flat-out exhausted from juggling schedules.  Tired from trying to finagle babysitting, switching cars, making lists, and packing/unpacking bags. But, I'm definitely not tired of watching lacrosse, and I find that surprising.  After 48 games, I was still getting teary on the drive home after my last game because I knew it was over.  I'm hoping to do a few summer tournament games, but it will be almost nine months until regular lacrosse games start up.  Nine months is a long time to wait.

Fortunately (and much to Scott's chagrin) I have filled up our DVR with lots of college playoff games to review over the summer.  I love watching the college games and knowing the PWLUA officials on the field.  That will have to tide me over.....    

What will I do with all my "free time" now?  I guess I'll get back to all the household stuff that I've been putting off this spring, like yard work and painting.  It is definitely not as exciting or personally enriching, but it needs to be done.  I'll do the things I feel like I'm supposed to be doing and maybe I'll even do nothing sometimes. That can be fun too, I hear.

Speaking of yardwork....Note to neighbors, we have ordered a new lawn mower since the push mower isn't cutting it anymore (literally!).  Sorry for the overgrown mess...By the way, does anyone has a goat we can borrow for a few days?

 

2 comments:

  1. I was just about to file a complaint with the Borough about your grass...because, you know, our yard is so immaculate. I can relate about not having time to do stuff like that...I haven't even done my garden yet. I think this coming weekend will be the absolute latest I can get it in the ground, so I may come a 'knockin' to borrow the finicky rototiller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew. I'm sure glad I mentioned something here before you did something more drastic. I'd hate to get on the Borough's watch list. I haven't planted anything yet either, so I'll definitely be firing up the tiller soon (I hope, anyway).

    Also, speaking of the Borough, check out an article in this weekend's paper:

    http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20110522_East_King_Street_development_aims_to_bring_urban-style_cool_to_Malvern.html

    ReplyDelete