Sunday, January 15, 2012

Bitten

Well, I've been bitten by the lacrosse bug.  I knew it was coming....It happens every January.


First, my new US Lacrosse and NCAA Lacrosse rules books came in the mail, shiny and smelling of printer ink.  I ripped open the envelope, riffled through the books, and read the pages listing all the rule changes.  (While some sports like baseball seem like they have been around forever, women's lacrosse is a relatively new sport and it's still evolving. Lots of big changes this year!)  

Since the rule book has arrived, I've been considering that I'm now another year older than the players I'll be umpiring, so I need to get off my duff and do more speedwork, which means running intervals. This year I am giving myself an extra pat on the back for starting in December. I'm not a huge fan of running intervals, especially on the treadmill (which I find truly horrible). But, if I daydream I'm tearing down the field to call a fast break while I'm doing them, they really aren't so bad.  Also, sometimes it is fun to RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN.  When was the last time you tried doing that?  Go give it a try sometime.  Liberating!  

Then finally it was convention time. Yesterday, I attended US Lacrosse Convention and spent the entire day listening to presentations and watching video about calling the game.  It might sound tedious to you, but after eight hours yesterday I was sorry I had to leave. It's really an amazing opportunity to hear the top officials in the game -- women with 20 and 30 years experience -- presenting video of games they called last year, and talking about what they did wrong and what they did right. And, more importantly, how they are thinking in the moment while they are umpiring and what mental dialog they are having while watching the game.  Seriously inspiring.

So, now I'm fired up.  SERIOUSLY fired up to get on the field.  On tiny problem, I don't have my season schedule yet, so I can't start the countdown yet.......but it's coming!!  In the meantime, RAISE YOUR GAME, people.  I am.

    

1 comment:

  1. Ok....Scott read this post and thought it was a little over the top. But, I decided I don't care. A little passion now and then is healthy for the soul.

    ReplyDelete