Friday, January 15, 2010

7-Year Old Wisdom

My 7-year old daughter mentioned a few days ago that when she spends time with my husband and me she feels like an adult, and when she plays with her sister and brother she feels like a little kid. I asked her if she liked getting to be two different people, and she replied that she did indeed "REALLY like it because she could try out EVERYTHING".

I mulled over our conversation, and it occurred to me that I am always "the mom" and never my pre-child self who was passionate and curious and intense. I wanted to read everything, travel everywhere, and try almost anything. I'd like to reclaim a bit of my old self, I think. I miss her.

Since traveling anywhere is probably out of the question for the time being, at least enjoyable traveling, and reading is tough since I get interrupted at two-minute intervals....

[ironically am taking a typing pause to transform a helicopter into a "good guy" robot for 2-year old]

...perhaps I can reclaim a little of my old self here. I hope to carve out a few minutes each day to record my thoughts. To start these might be limited to comments on recipes or discussions about my children, but maybe just maybe I'll find a little bit of the old CC in here too. So here goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment