Sunday, January 17, 2010

Construction and Robots

This weekend we built a new twin-sized bed for our middle daughter Caroline, who had been sleeping in a toddler-sized bed. I must admit, we (mostly me) spent an inordinate amount of time trying to find just the right bed and dresser combination. I always feel a little bad for Caroline who has hand-me-down everything. Even though this is completely a normal thing for a younger sibling, I thought this is the chance to find her something special that is just for her. I spent hours and hours looking at beds online, in catalogs, at stores, etc. etc., to find just the right furniture for her.

It turns out that furniture is surprisingly expensive, especially children's furniture, and a lot of it is kind of ugly. I wanted something with clean timeless lines, but still on the feminine side. I also wanted the furniture to not be too "kidsy" so I don't feel the need to replace it when she gets older. Although I almost bought some "real" (i.e., solid wood) furniture from a Young America dealer, I decided to go with the IKEA Hemnes line: a white daybed, double dresser, and dressing table.

After agonizing over the furniture decision, after all the shopping, and after the much-anticipated construction, I really thought Caroline would be excited about the new furniture. At the big unveiling Caroline was hysterical because Abby might touch her Polly Pockets, and "could I please get Ben out of my room". I wasn't expecting to be showered with thanks, but a little smile would have been nice. Oh well. Clearly after 7 years of parenting, my expectations are still too high. Back to teaching gratitude....

Although I still need to assemble the the dressing table, the bed and dresser are already in use. I may still replace the black stone knobs that come with the kit with some pink faux-crystal knobs to make it a little more "girly", but I liked how everything turned out and I really enjoyed the price.

As an aside, I must admit that love assembling IKEA furniture. There is something very satisfying about building things, even from a kit with pre-drilled holes. It was an extra challenging project since we got so much "help" sorting and re-arranging all the hardware from our kids.

Ben, our baby (at 2 1/2) happily received Caroline's toddler bed, and he was ecstatic about the some new robot-themed bedding. He was emphatic that he no longer wanted to sleep in the crib.
So, on Saturday night Ben slept in the "big boy robot bed" and the crib has been cast aside, just another piece of baby paraphernalia that we no longer need. I thought I would get a little teary about the idea of no longer having a baby, but that did not happen. I am happy to have an adorable little boy and not a baby. I like that he can talk to me and laugh with me and tell horrible knock-knock jokes. I love that he calls me a "sweetie pie" and "his favorite, favorite mommy in the whole wide world". I do not miss nighttime feedings and baby spoons and spit-up. I really like toddler-sized Ben.

(I am not ready to give up footed sleeper and sippy cups yet or board books and Little People toys, but perhaps the next milestone will be the end of diapers? Dare I hope?)

No comments:

Post a Comment