Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Storytime Library

Ben and I are attending storytime at the library on Wednesday mornings. We started last week, so today was storytime #2. This is my very first official activity with Ben, and I like that it is just Ben and me and no siblings. I enjoy watching him interact with the other little kids, including his buddies from our bus stop. This is my first storytime session taking a single child. Wow. It is so much easier and enjoyable than in previous years. I smile sympathetically at the ladies with a 2-year old and a baby in tow, but secretly think, "Ha! I made it through that stage already!"

Now that I can actually concentrate during storytime, I realized that that the storytime experience is probably somewhat helpful to get Ben ready for preschool. When our storyteller, Mrs. Meachen, began to read the books last week, Ben clearly wanted to hop into her lap and settle in for the story. He looked confused and even a little distraught when directed to the floor to listen. Apparently group listening is an acquired skill. Ben's compromise: sit on the floor but keep hand on Mrs. Meachen's knee. Although I melt when little kids touch/pat you with their hands, I hope Mrs. Meachen doesn't mind too much. Actually I doubt she has noticed since storytime is more like bedlam since all the kids have a 20-second attention span. Mrs. Meachen never seems phased by all the craziness, though. I wish I were that unflappable.

No comments:

Post a Comment