Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Cat Rat Sat Mat Bat Pat

Today, offically, I started teaching Caroline to read.  We've been working on letter sounds for a while ("pre-reading"), and I think that she has the sounds down (usually), so now it's time for the next step.  Real words. 

I used the Hooked on Phonics program with Abby, so I'm going to try this approach with Caroline too. She's a very different style of learner than Abby, at least based on how she learned her letter sounds. So, I plan to give the phonics approach a try for a month or two, and then see where we are.  I want this to be a fun process for her and something for us to do together.  I remember it was frustrating for Abby at times, but she was very enthusiastic about the process overall.  Caroline seems similarly enthusiastic. 

Lesson 1 - the AT family.  So far, so good.  However, I have to admit that I had forgotten how much patience this process requires, both from me and also from the student.

Wish us luck!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment