Friday, April 9, 2010

Due Tomorrow? Like, Tomorrow Tomorrow??

You know those chaotic families in cartoons -- the ones where the kid tells the mom at bedtime that they have a project due the very next day? And then the next frame is the mom looking kind of exasperated and/or crazy?  I always thought that we had it together enough here that something like that would never happen to us.  HA!  Proven wrong yet again! 

Abby's very first school project, a cultural tradition oral project, was assigned to her before spring break with the date clearly marked on the front sheet.  However, I never put the date on the calendar.  Big mistake!!  I knew the deadline was approaching, but in my head I thought that the project was due on April 12th (this coming monday).  I was so sure of this date that I even told Abby that we had to finish everything up by bedtime on Saturday since we're going up to Grandma and Grandad's on Sunday. 

Long story short, the actual due date for the project was today, April 9th, which I found out last night at 8:30pm when Abby started crying right at bedtime because she hadn't finished her project.  Fortunately, Abby and I had already worked through the written part of the project (filling out a matrix of family traditions), but she hadn't gotten the oral presentation together.  So, that's what we did last night at 8:30-9pm and again this morning before school.  Luckily, this is only a first grade project so the "presentation" is very, very short and Abby is ready.  But, lesson learned!!  USE THE CALENDAR!

To be honest, I'm sure that I blew it on the date because the family schedule has been extra crazy from lacrosse.  I only umpire 3 times a week, for a total of about 9 hours.  Apparently, those are the key 9 hours that I use to hold down the fort.  The umpiring season is going pretty well so far, but has been rather extreme from the weather perspective.  I have had games that were freezing (40°F and torrential downpour) and boiling (90°F on turf).  Last night (before the whole presentation fiasco), I finally got to enjoy a pleasant 70 degree and breezy night game under the lights.  Makes all the lacrosse meetings worth it!      

No comments:

Post a Comment