Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Guest Writer - Abby

Last Friday, Scott and I visited Abby's classroom for a "Revision Museum" event held by Abby's class.  Each of the students had written a story about one of their "small moments", and then had spent time revising the story. All the drafts of the story were at the classroom museum for review.  Abby's teacher had taught the class about "lively lead-ins" to grab the readers' attention, dialogue to make the reader feel they were there, and "extraordinary endings" to leave the reader wanting for more.  I was blown away by the kids' writing!  These are first graders, after all.  The class even got to type their stories on the computer for their final revision. 

I clearly remember a few things from my first grade, for example, putting little cardboard alphabet letters in order and reading books like "Spot" and "Jane".  While I'm sure the curriculum was more challenging by the end of the year, I definitely do not recall revising stories using a computer.  I do remember a fun unit on dinosaurs, though.

Take it away Abby!  (Note that I updated the spelling from phonetic to standard, to make the reading a bit easier)

Book Fair in the Library
By Abigail Oswald



Dedication Page: I dedicate this book to my mommy!


Story Text:  I wondered how many BOOKS I was going to get!! The books I got were The Ballet Fairy and the Tasty Tale of Chew and Swallow. My mom was there because she wanted to know what other books I liked. (---- Abby's Lively Lead)

Illustration in Book - Thought Bubble says "Books!  Books!"


 They were Tia and the Tulip Fairy that book came with a feather pen. It was a double-sided book. The other side had Dani and the Daisy!

 
My sister Caroline liked Skippy Jon Jones Lost in Spice. My brother Ben liked the book Star Wars Space Ships.


My mom said "there are so many books in this library how can you pick just two Abby"? I did not answer....but in my heart I thought lots of books mom, lots of books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(----Abby's dialogue and extraordinary ending)

1 comment:

  1. Incredable!!!! We're sooo impressed that they're doing this in first grade...and so glad our Abby is a book lover.
    Grandma and Grandad

    ReplyDelete