Tuesday, January 11, 2011

On the Treadmill (mostly)

It's that time of year when the gym is super crowded with people exercising trying to keep their New Year's Resolution to eat right and get some exercise.  I know some folks get annoyed with all the extra bodies, but I think it's kind of nice to see everyone trying so hard to take care of themselves.  Keep it up People!! 

With all my positive encouragement in mind, if all you good exercisers wouldn't mind, though, could you please save me a different treadmill next time at the gym?  I don't usually run to music because I don't like all the cords (I do like the music). If' I'm inside and on the treadmill, I usually try to either space out or watch the highlights on ESPN Sports Center.  I thought today would be a good day for football highlights with all the NFL Playoff games over the weekend.

Unfortunately, there was only one treadmill left, the one with a column in front of it-- so no Plays of the Week for me. Bummer.  The column had a nice sign posted saying that it was a No Cell Phone Zone.  But, the sign only had one line of text, so it couldn't really hold my interest for the whole run. 

I thought I'd try to peer around the column, but the only thing to look at was the abductor machine.  In case you're not familiar with that particular piece of apparatus, it is a machine that people use to tone their inner thighs by opening and closing their legs with weights.  So, I can't really stare at people using that machine or I would end up some kind of watch list. 

As part of the peer-around-the-column attempt, I learned that I can't run in one direction and have my head turned slightly in another.  Also, it's good there is a 'STOP' button on treadmills.  And, it's good that people are mostly watching TV or listening to music while they are running, so they tend not to notice what's going on around them.  I'll just leave it at that.

So, where am I going with this story?  I don't really know.  1) I'm successfully procrastinating doing my work and/or any useful housekeeping activities right now.  2) I've learned that I will just have to focus on running the way I'm looking in the future.  Not to be too philosophical, but this is a good metaphor for life too. Pick good paths, and really focus on where you are going.

No comments:

Post a Comment