Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Those Darn Kids

There's nothing like kids to cheer you up and lift your self esteem.  Here are some examples from the last few days:

1) Ben is working on opposites in preschool, and we've been given "homework" of talking about opposites on car rides.  Typical stuff:  (good--bad;  left--right, up--down, in--out)

Mom:  "Ok, Ben, what's the opposite of YOUNG"
Ben:  "I don't know."
Caroline (chiming in):  "C'mon Ben, you know that one.  Babies are YOUNG.  Moms are OLD."
Mom (grimacing):  "Guys, I'm not really that old."
Caroline:  "Sure you are, Mom. You're WAAAAAY old."

2) Abby is working on correct pronunciation of S's, and also managing to make me feel ancient.

Abby:  "Mom, what is a CAS-ette."
Mom:  "A what?"
Abby:  "A CAS-ette. Look here's the word."
Mom (looking at list of words):  "Oh, a casSETTE.  A cassette is what music came on before CDs."
Abby:  "Oh, I've never seen one of those."
Mom:  "Yep."

3) Keeping in mind I have my masters degree in Environmental Science and am trying to apply environmentally sustainable practices in our home, I heard Ben singing a song from the Curious George soundtrack:

Ben:  "Abuse, Reduce, Recycle."
Mom:  "I don't think that's quite it."
Ben:  "Abuse, Reduce, Recycle"
Mom:  "It's REDUCE, reuse, recycle."
Ben:  "Whatever, Mom"

He "whatevered" me.  And he's only 3?!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love how younger kids have no concept of age. You are either a kid like them or you are OLD. Caroline asked my 11-year-old once if she was married. I rather like Ben's rendition of the Curious George song. Actually, it's quite accurate, don't you think? especially when it comes to 3-year-olds. They abuse the heck out of toy, they reduce it to pieces, then they recycle it by creatively finding another way to play with it as a toy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That story about Caroline completely cracked me up!!! She

    You're so right about the toys too! There have been so many times I'm ready to toss some broken piece off of something and then find it as a key piece of some elaborate structure.

    ReplyDelete