Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Finalmente!

Exactly one year to the day after beginning Spanish Level 2 en mi coche (Está aquí) , I've finally graduated to Spanish Level 3 of the "Learn in Your Car" CD series.  The 12-minute lessons of unrelated sentences at the end of lecciónes setenta y dos and setenta y tres really took a while to get through.  A long while.  But, I'm finally onto reflexive verbos.   Sadly, I still no travel plans to actually use all this excellent knowledge.  Perhaps I'll try to plan something as a nice reward after I finish the third disc in Level 3.  Based on my current rate of progress, that will be around mid-febrero del próximo año.  Fortunately (or unfortunately) I have 2.5 years left of carpool lines for preschool and kindergarten pick-ups, which should be plenty of time for this last set of discs. 

My progress has been impeded a bit because Ben has grown tired of listening to me repeating Spanish oraciones, and has been requesting Disney music or rock n' roll instead.  While I can't blame him, I practically know all the words to Disney Greatest Hits Volume 1 and Volume 2.  That's valuable mental real estate that I'd rather fill with all the possible Spanish words for food items that I can use when ordering dinner in los restaurantes en Costa Rica.  

Do you know what is just a tad frustrating?  I took a little online Spanish test to see how well I'm doing.  So, after four years of school study and 73 Spanish lessons in my car I still speak Spanish as well as.....
a young child.  Actually, a very young child with an extremely limited vocabulary.  Awesome. 

That is not discouraging at all.


2 comments:

  1. ah well. At least you speak Spanish as well as a very young child. I can't even claim that! The family climbing adventure looked awesome! I admit i chuckled a little bit at the idea of the "adventure date" though it does sound fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was pretty fun -- also the climbing gym is right around the corner from Victory Brew Pub, so you can just stop by for a pint afterwards. The "adventure date" was to remember the days before kids when we took whole "adventure vacations."

    ReplyDelete