Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Return of the Harbingers of Spring

Almost a year to the day that I reported on a massive flock of robins enjoying our holly berries (see Harbingers of Spring - 2010), a migrating roost of robins has returned to feast on our prolific holly berries.  Although last year's flock numbered well into the 100s, so far I have only counted about 15 robins.  It's a very windy day, though, so I'm wondering if there will be more robins later in the week. 

The bellies of the mini-flock that has returned are quite plump, which means they have been well fed this winter. They are a most welcome sight since it means that spring is just around the corner!

Tasty Berry!

How many robins can you find in this photo? 
(Answer: 8!)

3 comments:

  1. i was practically doing cartwheels the other day when i saw birds at our feeder again! spring WILL come! Oh yes, it will!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was completely giddy when I saw the robins! And, then I went outside to the bus stop this morning and it was frigid again. How long is this winter going to last??!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tell you what I am looking forward to when it comes to spring. I am looking forward to when our kids meet outside in our adjoining backyards and stay out there all day until it is dark. That always makes me feel happy because that's what I used to do when I was a kid... now if only there was a way I could get my middle schoolers outside too. Maybe I could lure them out by stringer their cell phones up in the trees.

    ReplyDelete