Sunday, February 14, 2010

Harbingers of Spring



In the midst of all the snow this past week, imagine my suprise when a roost of robins took up residence in our yard.  They are feasting on the prolific berries in our holly tree. At first, I saw a just few robins flitting in and out of the holly tree.  I was happy that something finally noticed all the holly berries since it seemed such a shame to have all the lovely berries go to waste. 

Yesterday, I realized that it wasn't just a few robins.  I have counted at least one hundred, and there are probably many more since they are constantly moving.  It's quite an amazing sight, and it's very cheerful to listen to the birds sing happily outside.  So very different from the muffled silence the blizzard brought last week.

Below: Berries knocked off the holly by the robins.



Can you find the 6 robins in the picture below?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment