Monday, February 22, 2010

Dust Off Your Whistles...

....because lacrosse season is just around the corner.  Tonight is the annual PIAA lacrosse interpretation meeting where all the high school lacrosse officials find out about this year's rule changes.  I'm not going to lie, this annual meeting is Tedious. BUT -- it's worth it because this means in just a few weeks (mid-March), lacrosse season will be starting!  It's really, really (really!) hard to imagine that the snow covered fields will ever give way to grass or turf covered fields that will be dry enough to play on, but surely it will happen.  Right??  Spring must be coming, at some point.

I love lacrosse officiating for many reasons.  One of my very favorites, though, is that first time when I blow my whistle and all 24 players on the field have to come to a dead stop. Or else.  It's really quite a thrill that first whistle blow.  After a winter couped up inside with my children bouncing off the walls, sometimes literally, all those girls actually do my bidding each and every time I blow my whistle.  What power!  What spectacle!  After typing those last two sentences, I think I now understand why we are required to officiate a few scrimages prior to the start of the season.  Those games give all the moms a chance to knock the winter crazys out of their system.

I did see my very first official (ha-ha!) sign of spring yesterday at Grandma and Grandad's house.  Believe it or not, there were tiny bulbs starting to poke out of the ground where the snow was melting away from the side of their house.  And yet there was still sufficient snow yesterday to spent a very pleasant part of the day sledding (great touch snowblowing the path out to the hill yesterday Grandad!).  No bulbs here yet.  Actually not too much grass yet here eitther.  But soon, I think.  Meanwhile, I'm going to go dust off my whistle.  Maybe I'll even yellow card the kids during dinner for any manners violation.  Just for practice.   

No comments:

Post a Comment