Friday, February 19, 2010

Book Review: The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver

I just finished reading The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver.  Wow. This was definitely not light reading, but it was excellent.  (In the interest of full disclosure, Mrs. Kingsolver is one of my favorite authors, perhaps even my very favorite author, so I'm probably a little biased here.)

(Stock photo)

Rather than typical prose, the novel is written in the form of diaries, news clippings, and letters of a fellow named Harrison Shepherd, who is born in the US, grew up in Mexico, and then returns to the US as an adult.  Harrison Shepherd's life starts quite modestly and yet he ends up working for the painter Diego Rivera, the painter Frida Kahlo, and then later for the exiled revolutionist Lev Trotsky.  His life is shaped by the people he meets, history, and public opinion. 

The characters and imagery in this book are amazing. The language is elevated and thoughtful.  I was even reaching for my dictionary in a few instances (e.g., amanuensis).  This book intertwines the fiction of HS's life with American history (30s and 40s) and Mexican archaeology.  Along the way, Kingsolver asks some profound questions, such as which civilization is greater, the one who lives in a forest for 1000 years without a trace or the one who is able to erect a monument that outlasts the civilization itself.  Also, there is a lot of American history in here, particularly the post WWII anticommunism era, that should not be forgotten.

I probably wouldn't have selected this book if it weren't written by Kingsolver and I was basing my decision solely on the description on the book jacket.  I should also note that it was a bit of a slow start.  But, once Harrison discovered the Lacuna (no hints about that from me!), I was hooked.  Overall, very good!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment