Friday, February 25, 2011

Friday Afternoon Revelations

1) Employment is really interfering with my blogging.  It's great getting paid and all, but I do not have enough free time left for goofing off.  Or cleaning.  Or reading.  And lots of other things.    

2) Red Wine in Spanish is vino tinto, not vino rojo, as I previously thought.  I've mentioned a couple of times that I've been studying Spanish, with my ultimate dream goal of some kind of gastronomic/ecological tour of Costa Rica.  So, imagine my surprise in Lesson 86 (EIGHTY-SIX!) to find out that Red Wine is not literally translated as Red Wine. Seriously, why was this important note buried all the way in Lesson 86??

If I were designing the curriculum, it would go something like:
  • Where is the bathroom?
  • Is this potable water?
  • Where is my luggage?
  • How can I get to the hotel/restaurant?
  • I would like a glass of red wine.
I was flipping through my little course guide and "I would like to check my tire pressure" was waaaaay back in Lesson 56. CLEARLY, the person responsible for this course does not have children.

3) Ben has been making all kinds of self-discoveries over the past week.  Most of which are in the "way too much information" category.  However, along with these physical discoveries, he's been pummeling me with some tough spiritual questions, including, "Will I be able to hug you with my arms in heaven?" (sniff, sniff)

These tough questions have been interspersed with his curiosity about women's bodies -- NATURALLY ALL THE QUESTIONS COME WHEN DAD IS AT WORK.

Ben:  "Mom, how do you go to the bathroom?"
Mom:  "I just go, Ben, just like you."
Ben:  "No, I mean, where does it come out?"
Mom: "It comes out of my girl parts."
Ben:  "Can I see them?"
Mom (grimacing):  "No, I don't think so, those are private."
Ben (now chasing me down the hall):  "I need to seem them.  NOW MOOOOOM!"

So, you can now imagine the scene of Ben chasing me down the hall and around the house with this conversation, which he refused to drop until I decided to turn on a TV show. By the way, these types of parenting experiences are an excellent example of why vino tinto should be in LESSON 1!!!!

4) Lastly, the next time it is 70 degrees in February.  Don't send the children to go play in the backyard because it is way too muddy and will result in at least one load of laundry per 15 minutes outdoors.  Instead, you should consider going Snow Tubing.  Counter intuitive right?  Warm weather = Snow Sports.  But, we went tubing with Grandad last Friday when it was 68, and it was awesome!  Not crowded, super fun, and not cold at all!

Caroline

3 comments:

  1. hahhaahah love it and can completely relate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty sure that is the best sledding picture i've ever seen.
    i can almost hear the scream!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!! I cannot take credit for the photo, though. My father-in-law took the picture (I should have given him a photo credit!)

    ReplyDelete