Monday, March 21, 2011

The Secret Life of an NCAA Official

I typed that title like I really know what I'm talking about, didn't I?    

I officiated my first ever college game on Saturday.  And it was great!  Truth be told, the lacrosse was definitely not better skill-wise than the better high school teams around the Delaware Valley. But, actual lacrosse quality-of-play aside, all the trappings of officiating college sports were delightful.

1)  There is an actual locker room just for officials.  That means that I did not have to try to change any articles of clothing or shoes while either sitting in my car or standing at my trunk.  There is a private area to take a break at halftime, with an actual bench and an actual bathroom.  There are no fans, players, or coaches in said bathroom who want to ask "just one quick question" and then lambaste you while you're washing your hands.  Private locker room = Privacy!

2) And, guess what we talked about in the locker room?  Lacrosse!  I couldn't believe it.  I thought there would be casual chit-chat.  But, we talked about fouls and plays and certain players' tendencies, and how we could make our game even safer and what we could do to make better calls during the second half.  Good stuff.

3) Mercifully, the AD did not play the National Anthem sung by Mariah Carey.  I have absolutely nothing against Mariah Carey or her music in general.  However, I have heard that particular rendition of the National Anthem at least 100 times since it is the version of choice for all the local high schools. It's quite long.  And quite twittery.  And, it was really refreshing to hear something else. I was secretly wishing I had a recording of my daughters' elementary school's 2nd and 3rd graders singing the Star-Spangled Banner that they just performed during their spring concernt.  THAT was a great version.  Of course, just because this University did not play Mariah Carey does not mean that Colleges B-F will not, but it was nice break nevertheless.

4) All college games are officiated with 3 umpires rather than 2 umpires.  Even though there are some differences in positioning and responsibilities at the various positions, I really enjoy umpring '3-Man' style.  I can't speak for myself, of course, but my partners were really experienced and respected officials and it was such a treat and a personal thrill to work with them.  I have one game this year with one of the umpires who called the final game in the NCAA Division I tournament.  The Championship game!  My umpiring idol!!

2 comments:

  1. The 2nd and 3rd graders ROCKED Star-Spangled Banner (I am not in the least bit biased). Your umping sounds fun!! I imagine that hanging out in the umpires' locker room talking about Lacrosse is a lot like hanging out at the local running store talking with the other runners--ALL ABOUT RUNNING. So much fun to talk about your sport with people who are as into it as you, isn't it? Will you still be umping for the high schools too? Or just college now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a about a 40/60% mix of college/high school lacrosse. I get competitive high school games or not-so-competitive college games. Maybe in a few years I'll even get some competitive college games. One can dream, right? I agree that it is refreshing to talk to people who are as into your sport as you are!!

    ReplyDelete