Tuesday, March 29, 2011

In Like a Lion....

.....Out Like a Giraffe.


What????

Ben brought home a preschool project yesterday that is a paper plate transformed into a lion.  Brown cotton balls for the mane, construction paper whiskers, etc.  A preschool treasure.  I really should take a photo of it to share, but I'm feeling lazy this morning. 

At the bottom of the project is the note "In Like a Lion...."  So we asked the kids to finish the sentence, assuming they had heard the expression before. 

They hadn't.

Ben:  "In like a lion, out like a.... Giraffe?"

Caroline:  "In like a lion, out like a ...... Dragon?"

Abby:  "In like a lion, out like a .... Fool?"   (She was thinking of April Fool's Day.  At least there was some reasoning there, right?)

We briefly discussed the actual expression with the kids last night, and then asked again at breakfast this morning to see if there was any retention of that discussion. 

There wasn't.

Ben:  "In like a lion, out like a.....Giraffe."   (At least he's consistent.)

Caroline:  "In like a lion, out like a.....Sheep."  (Closer!)

Abby:  "In like a lion, out like a.....Yak."  

A yak?  A YAK???  I really feel like I'm talking to the wall sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. so cute! I love your kids. At this point, I am not holding out much hope for the "out like a lamb" to this month. Looks like the lion is still roaring, all the way through the end of the week. Maybe April will be a bit more "lamby"... hoping.... hoping...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously hoping here too. I practically started crying from coldness at my game last Friday (excellent mental toughness from me, right?). It took a fire, two blankets, and a shot of scotch to warm up. Scotch is a delightfully warming beverage!

    ReplyDelete