Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Attention all shoppers...

....there is a person impersonating a Macy's employee in the lingerie section.  Please find her and ask her a random question about the location of merchandise in our store.  Or, even better, about her opinion on your underwear purchase!  She's definitely not busy right now!

What?

That was me yesterday.  I decided to take a break from sediment characterization reports to participate in a little gift wrapping fundraiser for Ben's preschool.  The deal was supposed to be that I would wrap gifts for 2 hours inside Macy's King of Prussia store, and any gift wrapping payments would be a donation to the school.  The gift wrapping table was located in between the Juniors and Lingerie sections, facing the lingerie naturally.

Unfortunately, practically no one wanted me to wrap their gifts, so I only wrapped 3 presents in my 2-hour shift, earning Ben's school a grand total of $13.  

My time at Macy's was certainly anything but quiet though!  It was a bit of a surreal experience, actually.  Since I was standing at intersection of several main shopping paths and trying to make friendly eye contact with all the people holding packages, I apparently looked like an official Macy's employee, even though I was not wearing any kind of identification.

And, since I had nothing to wrap, I got to answer all kinds of questions!

Shopper:  Do you know where the Men's department is located?
Me:  Follow this path to the escalator upstairs on your right.

Shopper:  Ladies' dresses?
Me:   3rd floor

Shopper:  Ladies' handbags?
Me:  2nd floor

Shopper:  Online returns?
Me:  I'm not a Macy's employee, but I would try customer service in the business office upstairs.

Shopper:  Size 8 girl's dress?
Me:  Size 8 child's or Size 8 juniors? 
Shopper:  She a junior, but has a women's body.
Me:  Oh? 
Shopper:  You know, she's developed.
Me:  Oh!  You'll want to try ladies' dresses on the 3rd floor for the best selection.
(I'm not making this up, by the way)

And my favorite exchange (by this time I was really hamming it up)...

Shopper:  Do you like the blue or the green nightgown better?
Me:  I prefer the green. It's a nice neutral sage color and will complement a lot of skin tones.
Shopper:  Great point!  I'll go with the green.  Thanks for your help!
Me:  No problem.  My pleasure!

As I said, I only made $13 dollars wrapping gifts, so it probably wasn't worth the time, but working retail was so much fun I might just go back and pretend to be a Macy's employee again sometime.

3 comments:

  1. WOW! How do you know so much about Macy's? And that's a relief about Caroline not having "lil critter" hair. I see a lot of ticks, and I am constantly pulling those off of Lucy. Do you see a lot of ticks too? I tell Lucy she must have really yummy blood, but it is a bit concerning. But what the heck can I even do about it except wash her hair every night and constantly check her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that I knew so much about Macy's. Sure, I've shopped there a few times, but apparently the floor plan got mapped into my subconscious without even realizing it. As far as ticks go, we've had a few this year, but nothing regular. It makes me worry if I'm just not finding ticks. On the other and, maybe Lucy is attracting all of them for us instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha thanks...that makes me feel MUCH better. :-) when's our race?

    ReplyDelete