Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I ♥ NYC

We decided to take the family on a little Christmas adventure to Manhattan to visit with Uncle Brian this past Saturday.  Rather than driving, we took the NJ Transit train from Trenton, which, speaking from experience, is a decidedly more relaxing trip than driving anywhere in or near NYC in a mini-van with out-of-state plates.  Unlike our usual planned adventures, we decided to just "go with the flow" for the day and see where our feet led us.  That turned out to be good plan!

Since it is conveniently located nearby Penn Station, we shopped a bit at the largest store in the world: Macy's (which looked even better illuminated at night). The store was jammed packed with people shopping.  While I do not love crowds, somehow the masses made Macy's shopping more exciting.  Children's clothing is way up on the 8th floor, so we rode up wooden escalator after wooden escalator upstairs.  The girls felt very glamorous trying on their dresses. Caroline found a charming red dress with ribbon swirls.  Abby picked a black and white dress with a black ribbon around the waist.  I found out later that Abby's main criteria for dress selection was that the dress was available all the way up to a size 16, so it was definitely a "big girl" dress.  That gave me a chuckle.  I was hoping she'd base her choice on, you know, dress style or color or something related to fashion.
Macy's New York
Not to dwell too much on Macy's, but I would like to add that unlike Macy's King of Prussia where I was recently gift wrapping/greeting, I am totally unfamiliar with the layout of Macy's NYC, which is why it took longer us longer to find our way out of the store than to buy our dresses.

Later in the day, Scott decided he wanted to buy some roasted chestnuts from a street vendor while we walked toward Times Square.  I asked the vendor if he would mind if I photographed his nuts....which I'll remember to phrase better if ever the situation arises again.
Have you ever tried these things??!!  Roasted chestnuts are gross.  I don't know why they are romanticized in Christmas carols.  They don't smell good roasting, and they definitely don't taste that great either.  Maybe they should change the song to something else roasting by the fire.  Marshmallows?  Bacon?

I suggested going to a museum for an hour or two, but the kids really just wanted to play at Central Park.  So, being completely spontaneous parents (ha!), we played at Central Park for a while around 57th street or thereabouts. Central Park has FANTASTIC playgrounds.

 Boulders overlooking the Playground

Spinning (boulders in background)

Other sights from the day:
The New Year's Eve Crystal Ball in Times Square

A closer look
(the colors are lights inside that were changing)



2 comments:

  1. You are really good at taking pictures of nuts. I think chestnuts are gross too. I was deeply disappointed the first time I tried them (also from a street vendor, but on the streets of London, so it seemed so romantic—totally disgusting—and they totally stink when roasting.) But New York seems like such a great Christmas-y holiday spirit kind of place to go. Sounds like you guys had fun! Much better than a 5k. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are hilarious! And, I learned that taking pictures of nuts is one of my secret skills. If you want some tasty nuts, you should try sugar-covered roasted cashews. I bought some of those in Central Park to get rid of the awful chestnut aftertaste, and boy-o-boy are they DELICIOUS. I should have taken a photo of those too! I missed an opportunity there, drat! (And, I am so relieved that you aren't too mad about missing the 5K!!!)

    ReplyDelete