Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Competitive Cuddling

We have a new sport at our house:  COMPETITIVE CUDDLING.

I believe I previously wrote about the gentle and sweet way Ben used to wake me up in the morning (Morning Conversation with Ben).  Unfortunately, as wake up times have shifted backward with the earlier sunrise, Ben's loving nuzzles have been replaced with an all out battle between Competitor A (Ben) and Competitor B (Caroline) vying to obtain the most physical affection from me during the allotted "cuddling" period from wake up time until 6:30am. If arm space isn't enough, the competitors battle over blanket share, i.e., the game within the game:  BLANKET TUG-O-WAR. 

Now, I should probably be flattered that my two little ones are fighting for my affection.  However, I am not.  First of all, contrary to any indication I've given otherwise, I enjoy sleeping.  Second, Competitive Cuddling is painful. Third, Blanket Tug-of-War is chilling. Although I am willing and able to cuddle one child per side, Ben and Caroline still want to control the much-coveted chest area of my body.  In order to do this, it requires knees and elbows to their competitors to maintain dominance.  No thought is given to any potential collateral damage.  In addition, I've never been a fan of the "waft" maneuver, which is when you lift and lower the blanket in a swift manner, depleting the covers (and mom's patience) of their warm reserves. Note, if you are ever engaged in a blanket tug-of-war, this is an effective technique.

The cuddling battles also apparently require shrill screaming.  "Nooooooooo!"  "Beeeeeeeen!"  "Aroooooooliiiiiiiine!"  I don't think the rest of us are really up for this type of competition.  I know I'd rather not be up for it..... Fortunately, Abby is practically in a coma in her own bed, or there would really be some problems.

I realize there are only a few ways to resolve this problem.  The easiest is for me to just get out of bed and skip the "cuddling" period.  I am trying not to do this because I really do not want to start every summer day at 6am. That is a LOT of summer vacation per day!  My current technique is to remind the children over and over just how hungry they are, and how much daddy misses them at breakfast. If successful, Competitive Cuddling is replaced by the Breakfast Battles --- but Scott will have to fill you in on that some other time.

No comments:

Post a Comment