Monday, June 7, 2010

Flashbacks

1) First waaaaay back - This weekend featured our town's Memorial Day parade.  Although we have attended the parade for the last eight years, we were eagerly anticipating this year's event since the parade now route runs in front of our house.  How cool is that?  Just walk outside and watch the veterans, bands, historical uniforms, fire trucks, scouting organizations, Shriner go-carts, and oil trucks (??) go by!  Let's hear it for oil??!  Also, let's hear it for deep rig drilling!    


Small town parades are lots of fun. Although we didn't attend the cake walk afterwards, the kids did a pretty thorough job of collecting all the candy thrown their way during the parade.  Since we're really trying to limit food dye intake with Caroline, I was focused mainly on monitoring her snacks.  Let me just say that Ben is much more adept at unwrapping candies than I previously thought. 

2) Moving up to the 1980s - Caroline gave me a chuckle this morning when she came into my room and said, "Mom turn around, I want to do something on your back."  I warily obliged, and then she started doing a little rhyme that I remember from my childhood.

Treasure hunt, treasure hunt.
X marks the spot.  
Three lines down and a question mark.
A pinch and a squeeze.
A tropical breeze.
Now you've got the shiveries!

Anyone else remember this one? Abby was doing Miss Mary Mack with me the other day too.  It's like strolling down memory lane over here. 

3) On a random note, I thought the grandparents would get a kick out of this last comment.  Today at lunch, completely out of the blue, Caroline said the following, "Mom, did you know that when Grandma gets mad at Pops she calls him Jim?  Also, did you know that when Grandma gets mad at Grandad she calls him Peter?"  The Jim and Peter parts were spoken in dramatic hushed whispers.  Although I mentioned that these are their first names and appropriate for common usage, she remains unconvinced.

No comments:

Post a Comment