Sunday, August 22, 2010

Vines Round 2

Let's all take a moment and marvel at the wonderful evolutionary adaptions that have enabled vines to be so successful in the plant kingdom.  Unlike mammals with our limited single method of procreating, vines can reproduce sexually or asexually. And, since vines don't have to waste precious energy on structurally supportive stems or trunks, they can focus their energy resources on growth.

Are you finished marvelling?

Now, let's gripe about vines.  At length.

Holy cow.  Scott and I spent hours and hours and hours clearing vines from our somewhat overgrown property only two months ago.  I'm clearly remember digging out the roots out during this effort.  I thought we had put a fair dent in each of the eight species of vines growing in the yard, although I knew at the time, that the battle was not over. 

Armed with clippers, a spade, and 15 paper yard bags, we went into battle with the vines again on Friday and Saturday.  I am not exaggerating when I estimate we cleared at least 1/2 mile of vines and roots out of the side yard (that's >2500 feet).  I was routinely pulling 30 foot stretches of Virginia creeper up off the ground or out of the trees.  Scott cleared hundreds of feet of kudzu roots from under the holly tree.

On the bright side, I didn't find any more honeysuckle growing.  One the bad side, there was much, much more bittersweet than last time.  Fortunately, the bittersweet had not finished forming its berries, so at least one method of reproduction has been squelched for a season. And, while we were working, we inspired our neighbor to come out and pull vines from his side of the fence, so he removed huge amounts of poison ivy and wild grape too.  (The jury is still out if I will escape getting poison ivy after this efforts...I'm not optimistic though, considering how many different places I found it growing.  But, at least all the patches of poison ivy were very small.) 

Sigh. I just can't believe how much invasive stuff was still out there, considering how much we removed only two months ago.  So...I guess should schedule Vines Round 3 this fall?

Round 2 - 15 bags of Invasive Yard Stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment