Tuesday, September 14, 2010

...and now the activities have started

After feeling kind of crabby and a little "off" for a few days, a realization finally hit me.  You know who I think is having the most trouble adjusting to the new back-to-school schedule?  Me.  You know who picks up on all the negative energy and acts up?  The kids. Then, who gets even crazier?  Me.  In biology, this system is called a positive feedback cycle.  At home it is just called "not good."

During those long summer days, I had mercifully forgotten just how much driving and errands are required on a weekly basis during the school year.  And, I had also apparently blocked out just how many extra errands are needed at the beginning of the school year to pick up all the school supplies, activity supplies, school shoes, school clothes, and whatever other miscellaneous stuff just happens to come up within the first three weeks of school.  For example, Abby tried on her fleece from last year and it was 2-inches too short in the arm.  Better add fall jackets to the list! Worst of all, all the back-to-school errands are usually run with the back-to-school kids, who would just rather be playing.

Even after most of the back-to-school provisions have been procured, I am still getting used to having to be somewhere at very specific time.  8:13am bus stop. check. 11:45am kindergarten pick-up line. check. 3:52 afternoon bus stop, ballet 4 pm check.  I don't think I would mind so much if it were just me, but Ben is definitely not enjoying all the schlepping.  He's putting up some impressive resistance and is once again channelling Jack Bauer. "NOOOOOOOO!" 

So, the realization that I was having a hard time with the new schedule hit me today about 45 minutes into a 75-minute yoga class.  We were working on balancing postures, which I'm usually ok doing, but I could not balance to save my life.  It was almost comical until I realized that I couldn't balance because my mind was still spinning with things to do. I really just needed to quiet my mind.  Let myself get off the mental treadmill, and focus on the present for a few minutes and take a few deep breaths. 

I really do love yoga. I never really thought about the mind-body connection until I started taking it.  I probably sound like a new-age weirdo or something, but I don't care.  The rest of the class was much better. Balancing half moon? Success!  So, for at least this afternoon, I have quieted my mind.  And, guess who picked up on mom's inner calmness?  The kids.  So, guess who was completely pleasant after school?  Caroline and Ben! 

Ugh. I wish I could remember this more often.  Maybe I should start taking yoga 2x per week. Or create some kind of refrigerator magnet.

No comments:

Post a Comment