Thursday, September 16, 2010

Umbrella Forts

Yesterday afternoon and evening, all three kids spent hours playing with all the neighbors' kids in a fort they created with 5 umbrellas, 3 blankets, and a dash of imagination. I really should have taken a picture, but I was afraid to break the spell.  I am not exactly sure of what compelling game was going on inside the fort.  All I know is that it included a really detailed plot and a dancing competition. It was one of those magical childhood moments when the kids were having so much fun, they absolutely didn't want to come in for dinner, they wolfed down their food, rushed back outside to keep playing the game, and then the magic of whatever they were doing was so strong, they were able to resume the adventure after dinner until it was almost dark.

I have been wondering lately whether or not any of these moments will be fixed into their minds as "special childhood memories," or if yesterday's fort with the frilly pink parasol and spiderman blanket will just drift away into the past and forgotten.  What about the spontaneous s'more party with their buddies last week? Or the little nature school they built in the backyard with logs?  Will they remember any of this, or maybe all these individual events will just be included in the general category of "childhood impressions." (Thinking about my own childhood, I have do have one really detailed memories about a basement fort created with 2 green army blankets, a green hassock, and a white zodiac hassock, two chairs, and a side table. But, not so many detailed memories about what specific games I played outside.) 

I have also been wondering if their "overall childhood impressions" are good so far.  I asked Abby one time over the summer if she was enjoying her childhood, and she looked at me like I had three heads.  But, I really do wonder. Are they having a good childhood??  And, what will they remember?  I hope they remember their fort. And, I hope I am doing a good job.  (I should note that Ben is starting preschool tomorrow, so I am feeling extra nostalgic and a little wistful at the moment...)

No comments:

Post a Comment