Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Feeding Time at the Zoo

My mother-in-law's favorite description of eating with children is "Feeding Time at the Zoo."  I really can't think of a more accurate phrase than that. 

On Monday, we were down to two children since Abby was at ballet.  Even though we only had 2 children to eat with instead of 3, typical mealtime chaos ensued. For a completely random example...

Minute 0 - I put hot food on the table. I tried a new recipe of sausage mushroom bolognese over creamy polenta (from latest Cooking Light magazine -- delicious -- listed as "mushroom bolognese" in recipes).

Minute 1 - Ben decided it is time to go to the bathroom after we have all sat down to eat.  So, a few bites into the meal, there was wiping, flushing, and handwashing for Ben and me. (Very appetizing.)

Minute 4 -  I rushed back to the table to eat it while it was still hot-ish.  I told Ben to pull up his pants. 

Minute 5 - Meanwhile, Caroline is serenading us with the "Heigh Ho the Librar-i-o" song she learned at the library at school.  This is a clever song (verses: the author writes the words....the illustrator draws....the publisher binds the books) which Scott and I were enjoying, but it was a tad loud as Caroline's songs often are. 

Minute 6 - While Caroline was singing at the top of her lungs, I realized that Ben has been squatting on the ground playing with the doorstop for several minutes-- still naked.  Boing...Boing...Boing. 

Minute 7 - Ben started joined in the singing the new song (still naked). 

Minute 10 - After several minutes of prancing, we finally wrestled Ben into his pants. Caroline stopped singing but got up from the table for more of something (milk? foraging? who knows?). 

Minute 10+ -  We got Ben back to the table.  Then, Ben and Caroline alternated singing and getting up again (and again) with Scott and me taking turns with the "Sit Down, ____."  "Use your indoor voice, ____"  Such fun!  Actually, I wish I could shut my eyes and ears for a few minutes to just eat.  It seemed like it was a nice dinner.

Now, I understand why my mom just sometimes ate dinner standing at the sink when my dad was out of town. Sometimes I like to do that at lunch.  Then, I can look out the window instead of the food in my children's mouths.

Oh, and I just looked over to see what Ben was doing while I was typing this.  Ben's naked again.  Good gracious. And, now Caroline is screaming at me. I sure do love parenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment