Thursday, September 9, 2010

Brownie Training....Send Coffee

I can't remember whether or not I've mentioned on this blog before that I am a Brownie leader.  Well, actually I was a Daisy leader for the past two years, and last spring my troop of girls bridged up to Brownies. We are very lucky to have a great group of girls, and it has been fun to watch them grow up over the past two years. I love getting to get to spend some special, sibling-free time with Abby and her friends (and I've heard from other leaders that this is the case until about 6th grade -- and then the hormones hit). 

This year, unlike the past two years, our troop will begin doing some outdoorsy things, which are the things I really love to do best.  I was so excited to take everyone camping and hiking, and then I found out all the scads of paperwork and training I need to complete in order to make this happen.  Of course, I understand from a safety and liability perspective that all this is necessary.  And, if I were brand new to outdoorsy things, it is pretty neat that Girl Scouts of America has all this training available for people who need it.

However, these realizations aren't making all this paperwork any more fun. I don't have any more interesting blogging stories because I'm currently reading through a detailed 100+ pages of training material and taking my home tests so that my troop can make s'mores using a charcoal grill. I wish I was exaggerating.  I had to fill out two very detailed applications regarding my camping and cooking experience just to qualify for the home study courses, otherwise I would have been in all weekend training. Maybe the weekend training would have been quicker?

As a general rule, I really try not to complain about any type of volunteering since it's completely my choice to do this. I'm breaking my rule. I'm frustrated. I'm an experienced backpacker -- so I'm 100% confident we can handle the s'mores without endangering anyone or any personal property.  Sigh. I will stop griping now and go read my packets...with a second cup of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment