Monday, November 8, 2010

C-R-A-Z-Y for Cookies

I love cookies.  REALLY love cookies.  I'm not really into pies, cheesecakes, or even salty snacks. I don't even love store-bought cookies that much, except for maybe Girl Scout peanut butter patties and Berger bakery cookies from Baltimore.  But I love a good homemade cookie.  And, with the exception of a little Amelia Bedelia-like baking mishap when I was about 12 (directions said to grease the bottom of the pan....so I greased the outside bottom...), I am a now a skilled cookie baker and grease the appropriate side of the pan every time.  I really hit my stride around Christmas time -- shortbread, Russian tea cakes, chocolate chip, raspberry thumbprints, butter spritz with almonds....ah...I can't wait.  

I am the proud owner of at least five large, dough-splattered cook books devoted exclusively to this important culinary art, one of which is titled 1001 Cookie Recipes.  Clearly, I have more cookie recipes than I can ever bake.  But, I can't help myself.  We're talking about cookies here. And, I just received a brand new cookie cookbook, Crazy About Cookies: 300 Scrumptious Recipes for Every Occasion & Craving by Krystina Castella that I really like. The author also has a second creative cookbook on the art of cupcake baking that she previously published called Crazy for Cupcakes.


Why do I need this new set of over 300 cookie recipes??  Because these are super cute!  Not only does this cookie book have some interesting twists on traditional cookies, but this cookbook really differentiates itself by a great selection of super creative cookies -- the recipes are more like cookie art projects!  Edible, adorable cookies with ideas for all occasions, holidays, and even every day. Wow-'em ideas that are perfect for cookie exchanges or classroom parties or care packages. And, if you're new to baking, there is also a thorough basics section on doughs, toppings and decoration techniques with some tips that I hadn't read before.

One of my favorite cookie in this book is a twist on the traditional peanut butter cookie.  Instead of the normal circular peanut butter cookie that you criss-cross with a fork (also included on p.80), you roll out the cookie dough and cut out the cookies like a tiny pieces of bread -- and then after they come out of the oven, spread a little jelly on the top of half, and a little peanut butter with honey on the top of the others, and the cookies look exactly like the two halves of PB&J sandwiches. SO CUTE!  And there are so many other super fun ideas in here too, like German chocolate cake cookies with pecan filling, and thumbprints with mocha icing, and black & white cookies and cocktail party cookies on skewers and on and on. Yum yum yum. 

OK, I think I need to go bake something chocolaty now. 


Disclaimer:  I was provided a copy of Crazy About Cookies to Review by Thoroughly Modern Mommies.  All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment