Friday, November 19, 2010

Equity

Lately, my kids seem to be more and more concerned about FAIRNESS.  I've heard so many, "So-and-So got more than I did!"  Or, "He/She got to do ____ and I didn't."  Sigh. 

Although I've tried explaining that we are very lucky and we should be very grateful for what we have already, none of this seems to be sinking in.  Things have really gotten bad with all the catalogs that are showing up on our doorstep daily.  I would prefer never to hear one more, "I want _____," again.  It's very disappointing since we've been preaching gratitude over and over again for years. 

With that said, Caroline gave me a chuckle yesterday (although I left the room so she would not see me laughing).  Ben went to visit the neighbor's son in the afternoon and came back with a ziploc bag filled with a 4pm snack of cookies.  I'm not sure why he had the cookies....but it just wasn't worth trying to wrestle the cookies from his vice-like hands. Some battles just aren't worth fighting, you know?  Meanwhile, before Ben returned home, Caroline and I had just whipped up a quick batch of Toll House Cookie Bars, and she had just eaten a small taste of the batter when we were finished.

So, even though Caroline had just had a spoonful of rich, delicious cookie dough, she immediately screamed out:

"MOM, BEN HAS MORE SUGAR THAN ME!!!!! IT'S NOT FAIR!!!!"

So, apparently in addition to toys, clothes, and activities, Caroline is also monitoring sugar intake now. And, I do believe her assessment that the sugar content of three cookies is greater than that contained in single spoonful of batter is accurate. At least her nutritional evaluation in right on track.  

Today begins a 9-day break from school.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment