Friday, May 14, 2010

Green Eggs and Ham

...is unfortunately too hard for me to read.  Yes, it is sadly true. 

As a fun Mother's Day gift this year, Scott and the kids picked out Huevos Verdes y Jamón for me to practice reading in Spanish. After four years of Spanish in school + 54 leccións on CD, you'd think I'd be able to fully able to translate Huevos Verdes y Jabón. Wrong again!!!  Not even close!





Believe it or not, this book is kind of hard!  Of course, I can get the gist of it since I have it practically memorized in English.  However, since it's a rhyme, some of the words have been added or changed to enable the rhyming and meter to work. Sam is Sam Ramón in this story (to rhyme with jamón). Also, it turns out that the whole book is written in some kind of future tense that I haven't gotten to yet (the future imperfect or something??  E.g., I would not like them in a car....etc.).  I checked on Wikipedia to see if I could even figure out what tense the book is written in, and it turns out that Spanish has 14 different tenses!  Shoot, I'm only on #4.  So....back to studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment