Thursday, July 29, 2010

Inspiration in Unexpected Places

There is a woman at my gym who made me cry today.  Not a sad cry or a cry of pity, but a triumphant, joyful, and celebratory cry.  I do not know her personally, yet, but I have often see her walking around the track when I am running on the treadmill or using the bikes. 

Over the past few months she has been battling breast cancer.  I have watched her go through the same sequence as several of my friends -- wearing scarves to cover a bald chemo head, unnaturally pale complexion, strained expression, pink-ribbon clothing. I missed her for a few weeks early this summer, and then spotted her on the track again a few weeks ago, very gingerly walking around the track doing some gentle arm exercises, definitely recovering from a mastectomy.  When I first saw her, I thought to myself how awesome she was for coming out to the gym and getting back into the swing of things.  I also noticed a hat had replaced her scarf.

Last week, I saw her again, still walking around the track, a wee bit speedier this time, still wearing her hat.

Today, I saw her again, and then I think I witnessed one of the most amazing things ever.  She was walking around the track for a few laps, and then out of nowhere, she took off her hat, tilted her head back and beamed the most wonderful full smile I have ever seen.  I can only wonder what she was thinking, but I am hoping she was thinking that she is a champion and brave and strong.  With her hat now off and tiny hairs growing back in, she walked around the track, arms pumping, moving FAST.  Her smile didn't fade.  It was truly mesmerizing.  Had she caught my eye, I would have given her two thumbs up or a salute.  But, she was completely caught up in her own moment.  And I am glad I witnessed it. 

Aside from making me tear up on the treadmill and giving me some much-needed perspective on life, she reminded me that I had been delinquent in donating to my friend's 3-day breast cancer walk to raise money for breast cancer research. If you would like to make a difference too, you can donate HERE (3-Day Walk, Susan B. Komen Foundation -- click the pink button on top left). 

No comments:

Post a Comment