Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Movie Review: Toy Story 3

We've only taken the kids to see three movies in the theaters so far:  Curious George, Charlotte's Web, and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Caroline also went to see Princess and the Frog with Grandma. We've seen lots of movies at home, but for a while one or more of the kids were just too young to go to the theater, and then we were waiting a little longer to attend until Ben was less squirmy.  (At Charlotte's Web, I spent most of the movie in the lobby on the arcade race car with Ben.).  Also, there just aren't that many "G" rated films in the theaters. 

So, imagine everyone's surprise when we announced we were heading to the movies to see Toy Story 3  yesterday.  After the squeals of delight, Abby and Caroline started quoting something about the movie that Barbie and Ken say on the Barbie.com website.  That is some thorough marketing!



Ben's review:  "I loved it.  It had two bad guys in it, but I wasn't scared of the bad guys." Later, he declared that he wants to be Buzz Lightyear.  "I liked all of the parts of that movie."  (I'll note that Ben did not move for the entire duration of the movie.)

Caroline's review:  "It was great.  But, I thought the bad guys were scary.  I don't want the bad guys to be in the show. They were really mean."

Abby's review:  "I hated it.  Because I didn't like the scheme (the plot) of the movie.  It was really mean." (Abby was scared enough to sit on my lap for the second half of the movie.)

Mom's review:  I enjoyed parts of the movie and there were a few cute jokes. The animation was incredible, and the end of the movie was poignant, and a fitting end for the series.  But, I was concerned about how some of the content would affect the kids, particularly since the movie was "G" rated.  At one point, all of the beloved toy characters were at the landfill on a conveyor belt heading toward an incinerator.  Another toy had the chance to stop belt, but chose to let the toys get burned.  So, all the toys were holding hands and thought they were going to be melted. (This is a Disney movie, so you can guess how things ended).  However, that's a pretty heavy plot for little kids.  Also, a strawberry scented teddy bear acted nicely at first but then his band of mean toys locked up all the good toys and did other mean things to them while at a daycare.  The worst part for me, though, completely went over the heads of the kids.  The overall premise of the movie was that Andy was now 17 and headed off to college and his mom wanted him to clean out his room.  So, the total sap that I am, spent the end of the movie (and the next thirty minutes afterwards), crying about our children leaving us for college and no longer playing with the toys that I complain about all the time.  Sooo.....I'll give Toy Story 3 a mixed review.  We had a good time, but maybe not worth the $42 (yikes!!!!) that it cost to GO TO A MATINEE.

No comments:

Post a Comment