Monday, March 8, 2010

Capturing Small Moments

Last week was one of the most hectic weeks we've ever had.  After hibernating for most of the month of February, all possible work and volunteer activities re-commenced and/or were re-scheduled for the first week of March.  Somehow we ended up with a total of six evening meetings, including two separate 3-hour training sessions, between Sunday and Thurday night + kids activities + Scott traveled for day +  Read Across America event at school  + full week of regular school + a birthday. The week was so crazy that we called in reinforcements.  (Thanks Grandma!)  'TGIF' didn't really begin to cover it when we collapsed at the end of the week.   

With all the craziness or perhaps the nostalgic feelings that accompany birthdays, I was feeling more sentimental than ususal.  On Wednesday morning when I came downstairs to my family sitting around the kitchen table, I was serenaded with a very, very precious Happy Birthday. Abby and Caroline sang heartily in full voice.  Ben's cheeks were still rosy from sleep, the morning sunlight was shining on his face and red railroad pjs, and he was so excited to sing for me that he could barely stay on the chair.  Between the dimples and the 2-year old cute boy voice, I could have stayed in that moment forever.  But, even as they were singing I felt a little sad that the moment would end and we'd have to go back into the Move-it-People-We-Have-to-Get-to-the-Bus-Morning-Frenzy.

Later at the playground this weekend, I wish you could have seen how big the smiles were on the kids when they sprinted down the hill and headed for the equipment.  Huge, happy ear-to-ear smiles when they started swinging.  Heads tilted back, hair flying, jackets off, just pure joy for the love of finally being outside in the sunshine.

How I wish I could capture these moments forever!  Even if I had had a camera, it wouldn't have been enough.  I guess I will just write them down and hope they will jog something in my memory later on.  Better yet, I have to enjoy them completely in the moment, which is a surprisingly hard thing to do.  I wish these special moments weren't so fleeting!

No comments:

Post a Comment