Sunday, March 28, 2010

Heard and Seen Around the House

It's Sunday morning and Frank Sinatra's Coffee Song is playing right now on the radio. Scott likes to listen to Sunday mornings with Sinatra, with Sid Mark on 1210AM.  After 10+ years this seems normal to me now, but clearly this program is geared for older generations and/or people with Italian heritage based on the advertising.  Current sponsors are for the program include great deals on caskets, wills, life insurance, medicare, Pica's restaurant, and Cento Fine foods.  Lest you think I exaggerate, please check out the sponsors on Sid's site (http://www.soundsofsinatra.com/). 

Have you ever heard the Coffee Song?  It's peppy and fun!  It's one of the family favorites -- and it's about coffee (one of my favorites)!  You know who really loves coffee?  Ben.  If you ever come over, keep a close eye on your mug or wonder boy will sneak over to your cup and drain it.  You think 2-year olds are active?  Try a 2-year old on a few sips of caffeine.  I learned my lesson the hard way on that one. 

In other news, it must be getting close to Emmy time at our house since the kids are making their respective cases for lead actor/actress in dramatic series.  However, it's hard to stay in the character of devoted mother when the kids tweak their expected lines into something unexpected.

Ben (pathetic, sad voice) :  "Mom, I have a cold."
Mom:  "I'm sorry to hear that buddy."
Ben (even more sad):  "Mom, I have a stuffy nose."
Ben (close to tears):  "Mom, I have tea for two."

Caroline (after rousing game of tickling):  "Let's eat breakfast now, I'm staaaarving."
Dad:  "Ok, let's head down for pancakes."
Carline (Shakespearean tone):  "Ooooh Grief!"

Without my even noticing exactly when, Abby has passed the line of childhood when you stop using words in charming and unexpected ways (sad!).  She's a master of her vocabulary nowwith more words being added all the time. 

Abby (irritated):  "Caroline, stop being so impulsive!"
Caroline (looking confused) :  "What?"
Mom:  "Abby, do you know what impulsive means?
Abby (authoritatively and accompanying eye roll):  "Yes, Mom.  Impulsive means acting without thinking first.." 
Mom (thinking wistfully):  Goodbye Abbyisms!  Sniff, sniff...

Fortunately, we still haven't passed the line on visusal surprises for all the kids.  We never really know what to expect when the kids round the corner in terms of clothes.  The combinations of strips, prints, polka dots and colors are always surprising (and at times jarring).  But, the real question is whether or not the kids will be wearing clothes or not.  Ben surprised me a few days ago with pajama pants, yellow rubber rain boots, a winter snow cap with ear flaps and no shirt.  I didn't even know Ben could take his shirt off!

Finally, guess what was at the bird feeder this morning eating suet?  BLUEBIRDS!  I didn't title the blog BLUEBIRDS so you're eyes wouldn't glaze over from too much birding news.  But, I'm absolutely thrilled at the prospect of seeing bright bluebirds in the yard this summer.  We're still a couple of years from taking the kids on long woodland hikes, so I have to enjoy my nature close to home.  I never could have hoped for bluebirds at the old house.  I think some nest boxes might be a good Easter week project.

1 comment:

  1. Ben says that Abby calls him annoying. He doesn't know what it means but he's learned a new word from Abby.

    ReplyDelete