Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Nice Log and a (Not-So) Gran Rodeo

Abby, Caroline, Scott and I went to Longwood Gardens on Sunday since I thought the daffodils and magnolias might be blooming.  It turns out that we were a little early for those flowers, but we did get to enjoy the Orchid Extragavanza event they were having instead.  (Ben was busy exhausting playing with Grandma and Grandad at their house for the day.)



Of all the beautiful and varied exhibits at Longwood, I think the girls' favorite part was running/dancing across this large 'balance beam' that was nearby one of the treehouses. A close second favorite was the scavenger hunt cards in the children's garden in the Conservatory. By the way, if you have a chance to visit Longwood, the Conservatory is especially spectacular right now. Scads of bright blue delphiniums are an especially welcome site after dark gray rainy skies.


Since the cafeteria at Longwood closed early (and we had promised to take the girls out for dinner), I thought it would be fun to try the Mexican restaurant, El Gran Rodeo, located at the intersection of Rts. 202 and 1.  I'll give it a mixed review.  The chips and guacamole were delicious.  The dinners were kind of....um.... ploppy.  My dinner also had a nice piece of plastic embedded in the lettuce (the lettuce bag wrapper), which wasn't so great.  The waiter looked horrified when I told him and then ran to get me about 20 napkins.  I don't know exactly what the napkins were for, but it was a nice thought.  I sort of figured he'd take my dinner of the bill, but instead he discounted my dinner by $3.75.  I was wondering if they have a set discount for dinner mishaps?  Fortunately, the margerita I ordered was very, very tasty, so no harm done!  (I would probably recommend trying a different restaurant if you're in the mood for Mexican food.)

It was very strange to be without Ben for a whole day.  We really missed the little guy.  Ok, we didn't miss the diapers or the unpredictable running around or safeguarding the toothpaste, but I missed all my hugs and kisses and all his lovin' (his word).

No comments:

Post a Comment