Thursday, March 18, 2010

Opening Day Jitters

It's finally here!!!  Opening day for lacrosse umpiring!  My first game was supposed to be tomorrow, but my assignor asked if I could take an extra game this afternoon, so now today is opening day (huge thanks Pete for last minute babysitting!). 

I never think that I'll be nervous before early season games, but yet I am.  Today is not even a "real" game -- it is a scrimmage so both the players and the umpires can get the feel of the game.  Still, it's about 1:30pm and the nerves just kicked in.  Big time.

I really don't know what I'm worried about.  I know the rules and arm signals.  I am sure of field positioning and foul position setups. I'm in good shape. Overall, I'm ready.  And, I have an excellent 'mom' voice (and a shiny set of yellow and red cards) if anyone really acts up, so things will be under control -- and hopefully will even be fun since it is a game and it's 60 degrees outside in MARCH!  So, why the nerves?? It's only high school lacrosee right??

Hmmm.  I'll have to ponder that one.  Maybe the nerves have to do with being so conspicuous after so many months of hiding indoors.  Maybe I'm secretly worried what people think of me in my little black kilt and oh-not-so-stylish all black turf shoes.  Who cares -- it's 60 degrees and it's time to go get ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment